Planning our month-long RV road trip was a huge feat. I learned a few things you will want to know to have a happy family vacation! First, plan meals ahead of time and make them easy. Second, make sure you pack those must-have items (the ones you just can’t live without!) You don’t want to be buying food on the road when you could have bought it cheaper in bulk before your trip.
Meal planning for a long road trip
- Buy Healthy foods that are EASY to prep in the RV
- Look for foods that have a longer shelf life
- Pre-cook your meats and freeze them
- Get items that already come in individual snack size packages (if you are shopping at Costco they have a lot of bulk items that are individually packaged) or buy BULK and package into smaller bags yourself: like shredded cheese.
- Keep salads simple and buy more dressings to mix up the salad flavor: ranch, Italian, Ceaser, etc…
- Get fruits that last longer like apples, oranges, watermelon, etc.
- Buy lots of chip dips. We love: guacamole, hummus, and bitchen sauce
Tip: You know you’ll want it, so buy the JUNK food before! You save money buying it in bulk, instead of at an expensive gas station
Easy meals you can prep for RV road trip
- Bagels & Muffins
- Fresh Fruit with Toast
- Yogurt and Granola
- Precook Waffles & Freeze them
- Breakfast Wraps
Easy meals for lunch
- Lunchmeat Sandwiches
- Finger Foods: Chips, Veggies, & Dips
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches
- Quesadillas: Make it more filling by adding: meat, beans, cheese, or cooked peppers & onions
- Fresh Fruit, Veggies, Crackers, Cheese and Summer Sausage
- Lettuce wraps with chicken, veggie slices & bitchen sauce, or guacamole
- Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Pork
- Instant Pot Chicken Curry
- Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo
- Chicken Pineapple Kabobs
- Tin Foil Dinners
- Korean Beef Bowl
- Walking Tacos
I would love to hear what your favorite go-to meal is for camping or an RV road trip!
We have had a lot of fun traveling in the RV and learned a few things, check out how we organize and entertain the kids in the RV on long trips.
I’ll see you on another adventure,