Today is October 19th and it’s 67 days until Christmas. You may be thinking it is too early to start thinking about Christmas, but This Year is different. PSA: supply chains are low on many items, shipping is being affected- our holiday necessities will run out of stock as we get closer to the holidays- start shopping now!
Here are a few tips to help you prepare for the holidays!
How to shop early
You will want to shop early for Christmas gifts that will sell out quickly as well as groceries you will use for your big meals. You may have noticed that the stores are bringing holiday items out early because they know the items will sell out. If there’s something you plan to buy don’t wait because it won’t stay in stock long. Shopping over the next couple of months will also your budget by distributing Christmas money through Oct. – Dec.
Pro Tip: If you are not saving a LOT on a deal then buy it now instead of waiting until Black Friday and risk it selling out.
- Plan ahead – Know what to buy and where the BEST deals are for those items before Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
- Big Ticket Items– Keep an eye out for big-ticket Christmas items, be open-minded, and creative with what you can give for gifts
- Neighbor gifts – I have a lot of great ideas for Christmas neighbor gifts! Look for neighbor gifts while shopping for other Holiday items
- Stocking stuffers – When you are shopping think of items that could be stocking stuffers. They don’t have to be Christmas-themed.
- Small legos
- Chocolate orange
- bouncy balls
- small figurine
- education books
- small coloring book
- fidget toy
- toiletry items
- hair clips
- body spray
- fingernail polish
- Meal Plan – Plan your Holiday meals and make a grocery list; include Holiday treats you want to make. Look for recipes your kids can make!
- Buy Food Early – Buy your holiday meal food early
- gravy packets
- canned pumpkin
- pie filling
- green beans
- spray whip cream
- cool whip
- cream cheese
- stuffing packets
- baking supplies
Pro Tip: freeze items that will go bad like meats, bacon, cheese, cranberries, cool whip, etc…
Popular Items You Want to Buy Early
You will want to buy these items early before they run out. It’s no fun when you pick the perfect gift and then find out it won’t be in stock until after Christmas. To avoid this dilemma start thinking now of the gifts you’ll get. If they are one or more of the items I have listed or another item that seems popular there is a good chance it won’t be on the shelves the day before Christmas.
Popular Gifts for Adults/Family
- Airpod pros
- Home Gym Equipment
- Air fryer
Popular Gifts for Teens
- Virtual Reality Headsets
- Instant print digital print camera by Kodak
Popular Gifts for Kids
- Pop it fidgets
- Tamagotchi Pix
- SkyRocket Moji the Lovable Labradoodle
- Vtech kidi zoom camera
Gift ideas that don’t require gift purchasing
Homemade gifts are some of my favorites to give and receive. My kids (especially the younger ones) enjoy thinking of meaningful gifts they can make and give away for Christmas. But these gifts can be very time-consuming and if you don’t start them early you may not have time to finish. If you plan on making a homemade gift this year it’s a good idea to start thinking now of what you want to make and paying attention to how long you think it will take.
Tip: Start your homemade gifts EARLY so you have plenty of time to finish them before Christmas
- Homemade cards
- Plan Experiences
- trip to a local amusement park
- water park
- The adventure book is a great place to get ideas!
- Homemade gifts
- wood carving
- wood burning
- writing a poem or story
- painting a picture
- homemade soap, lip balm, or bath scrub
I am looking forward to Christmas this year! I plan on getting my shopping done early so I don’t have to worry about it the day before. I think this year with a covid pandemic it’s especially important to pay attention to the grocery items you might want because the shelves are not staying stocked as well as years past.
Free Christmas Countdown Printable
What things do you do early for Christmas?