This year as a family we are focusing on connecting with each other. One way you can connect more with your family is by doing more activities that you know your kids will love. There are so many fun things you can do together. I made a list to help you decide what to plan. It definitely helps to plan some of these ahead of time because they may require you to go to a specific place or might need something from the store. But many of them are simply just fun! There are also so many free activities you can find in your local community!
20 fun family activities to help you connect
- Do a hard puzzle together – have some fun snacks too!
- Read a novel as a family – spend 30 minutes a couple of times a week reading together
- Family picnic – try going to a park you’ve never been to before
- Make homemade Pizza – let everyone customize their part of the pizza with their favorite toppings
- Have a water balloon fight
- Indoor or backyard camping – who says you have to go far for a family camping trip
- Play H-O-R-S-E or around the world basketball games
- Play hide and seek, freeze tag, kick the can, or capture the flag
- Have chalk drawing party – try to fill your whole driveway with chalk drawings
- Tie-dye shirts
- Play card and board games
- Go fishing
- Sing karaoke
- Have a craft day
- Have breakfast for dinner
- play spike ball, nine square, corn hole, or bocce ball
- find a park to play frisbee golf
- Go swimming!
- Family bike ride
- Baking contest (two teams: one parent on each team, split the kids) Who can bake the most delicious and best-presented dessert
- paint Easter eggs – you can do this any time of the year. It is almost Easter so you might enjoy these easter activities as well
Go out and spend a little more – Activity Ideas
If you want to go out and don’t mind spending a little here a few more ideas that your family might also like.
- Water park – this spring break we went to an indoor waterpark (everyone had a blast) This works best if your kids are all a little older.
- Play mini-golf
- Go to a fun park
- Go to a carnival
We love having fun as a family! It would definitely be easier to just let the kids watch TV and Jase and I could work or do whatever we need or want to get done. But that does help us connect, get fresh air, exercise, or bond with our kids and them to bond with each other. We don’t always have something planned (sometimes our family activity is watching a movie together and eating popcorn). But generally, I like to have some idea of an activity we can do. Planning ahead (though I don’t always do this) really helps me stick to the fun activities we have planned.
What activities do you like to do with your family?