Being a wife, mother, entrepreneur, and serving my neighbors can be exhausting. I notice how taking time regularly to rest and reset affects how well I handle all the demands day by day. This year I started taking more time for myself in the mornings and it has made such a huge difference. I specifically chose things I could do without carving out a lot of extra time in my day for them. This helped me stick to my self-care goals and actually benefit from them.
First things First – Set an appointment for yourself to Self-care! I find if its penciled into my calendar then I can’t make excuses & fill it with another task.
Here are ten simple ways you can slow down a take some time for yourself.
- Read for 5-10 minutes from something uplifting, it could be a self-help book, scriptures, a novel you enjoy etc… The idea here is not to scroll through social media or the news but find something that inspires you.
- Do a little exercise – This can really help wake your body up when you are feeling sluggish. Think simple, 5-10 mins of bodyweight exercises is better than nothing.
- Listen to a podcast – here are some of my favorites! The Ohana Adventure, Better than Happy, 3 in 30.
- Keep a journal
- Go outside – take a morning walk, hike, or even sit on your porch. It’s good to get a little fresh air and sunshine.
- Take a long shower or bath
- Do Yoga or meditation
- Go on a drive
- Treat Yo’Self – get a manicure, facial, hair cut, get a smoothie!
- Drink tea and set intentions for your day
Make sure that you have specific activities you want to do with the time you carve out. This will help you when you don’t feel like doing what you had intended. I find this especially true when it’s something that takes more effort and planning.
Pick one or two and start doing them today. I would love to hear what you do to take time for yourself.
And now that you’ve taking time for yourself you are ready to take time to care for the needs of your family. One of the things we love to do with our kids is one on one dates. This really helps us connect with them.