Experiments are so fun! We love to kick off the school year with some projects to really get the kids excited for school! I have found some fantastic projects that you can do at home. Here are 10 simple and cheap science experiments to do at home. When school starts the science kits come out and the kids start making fun science experiments it’s so much fun! Your kids will love these simple science experiments too. Another fun family activity we like to do is field trips. While the weather is still warm plan somewhere fun to take your explorers!
Simple Science Experiments for Young Kids
1. Rain Cloud
Create a small rain cloud and watch it rain. For more details click here.
- shaving cream
- blue food coloring
2. Objects that attract magnets
What objects attract metals? See if your kids can guess. For more details go here.
- nonmagnetic items: straw, plastic toy, button, stick, eraser
- small magnetic items: paper clip, bobby pin, screw
3. Easter Peeps Science Experiment
See what happens to peeps in different types of liquid. For more details go here.
- baking soda
- small cups
4. Inflate a Balloon with Yeast
This is a fun kitchen science experiment that might sound messy but really isn’t. For more details go here.
- plastic water bottle empty
- 2 tablespoons dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons lukewarm water
- bowl of lukewarm water
5. How do plants grow science experiment
With some simple supplies and waiting time, you can see how plants absorb water and change color. For more details clip here.
- celery stalks
- tall cups
- food coloring
6. Light refraction science experiment
Bend a pencil with refracted light. This is a simple but fun experiment every kid should try. For more details go here.
- pint jar
7. Learn about shadows
Using sidewalk chalk, draw your sibling’s shadow throughout the day; see how it moves and changes. For more details click here.
- driveway or another paved place to draw. A sidewalk will be too narrow.
Science Experiment Ideas for Teens to Try
There are so many cheap and fun ideas for teens as well. I have listed a few fun science experiments for teens to do. If you want to find more science experiments go here.
1. Silver Egg Science Experiment
Turn a normal egg into a silver egg with this simple but intriguing science experiment. For more details go here.
- Raw egg
2. Learn How Temperature Affects The Rate of Diffusion
Using food coloring watch how the temperature of water affects how fast this dye diffuses into the liquid. For more details go here.
- Food dye
- Small wide glass with lid
- Stopwatch or smartphone
- Squared paper
3. Make a metal ball
This will take a while but ends with a really cool metal ball for your result! For more details click here.
- roll of standard aluminum foil, 285 square feet
- various mallets and hammers
- Mothers brand aluminum polish, and lots of rags
- 20 lb barbell weight as a hard pounding surface
- pounding stump
What science experiment are you doing next?
I hope your family enjoys trying some of these fun science experiments this year!
For older kids who want to learn more in-depth: Here is a science subscription kit we love: melscience
What science experiments are you going to try this school year? I would love to hear your ideas in the comments section below!